Take your Word documents from fine to fabulous with these 3 easy steps to adding a table of contents to your reports, proposals and presentations. Printed documents with a table of contents appear more sophisticated, and onscreen documents with a table of contents feature hot-link navigation to make it easy for readers to jump immediately to specific sections. Your readers will quickly find the information they need – and you will look like a rock star!
1. Apply Heading Styles
- On the Home tab, highlight the text you want to include in the table of contents
- Apply a Style such as Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3, etc. to each of your document headings
2. Insert A Table Of Contents
- Place your cursor where you want your table of contents in your document
- Go to the References tab
- Click the Table of Contents group in the upper left corner and choose the table you like
3. Customize your table of contents
- Select Custom Table of Contents
- Under General, select the number of levels you want in your table of contents
- Click on Options to change which Styles are included in your table of contents
Simply fabulous. Learn more about adding special features to your table of contents.